Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Home made pasta for dinner

I have not forgotten that I have a blog, it is just that not getting a lot of cooking done of late.  This is good for my favorite BBQ joint, less good for my wallet.  Does this mean I will not be there for stuffed jalapenos on Saturdays, well, no it does not.  Anyways, the knee felt mediocre, so to the kitchen.  I threw together some pasta combining one egg with enough flour ( I use 50/50 all-purpose flour and semolina flour), a couple pinches of salt and a little kneading.  After a one hour rest to hydrate and rest the gluten.  It gets rolled, hand cut and allowed to dry on a rack.

I also used some jar sauce, fried it up with a little olive oil, some Lucky Dog Hawaiian Pepper hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste.  Once the pasta had tried for a couple hours, I boiled it for 3 to 4 minutes, since it was fairly random and thick pasta, the minute extra got it to al dente.  I think it needed maybe even a minute more as it turned out.

I added the pasta and a little pasta water to thicken the tomato sauce and plated. Fairly low in protein and very filling.  I ended up eating only half of what is in the photo.
A little more fresh black pepper ground on top and dinner was complete.

2 comments:

  1. Alexis needs to pick your brain. We tried hand rolling egg noodles the other day and they were just okay. I think we're doing something wrong.

    But I have noticed hand made pasta is more filling. Yours looks great and I can see why you didn't finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By okay, do you mean they were too thick, or too tough etc...there are actually a few tricks I have picked up with making pasta. I still have a lot to learn, but, let me know what you felt could be better, maybe I can help.

    ReplyDelete