Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pulled Pork, South Carolina-style

I was recently the recipient of a very generous package, which included several sauces and the rub from Melvin's, a company in South Carolina. A fellow BBQ Brethren, who goes by PatAttack very generously sent me these from his home state. I have never had South Carolina style mustard sauces, and the style of BBQ plays a secondary role to the more famous North Carolina styles. Thus, this package was a great chance for me to try a new flavor of BBQ.


Melvin's Sauces and Rub

I chanced upon a 3.8 pound pork shoulder butt, from MarinSun Farms, a local pasture grown meat company, this is likely a breed of heritage hog, that has spent it entire life on pasture in Marin County. I was thrilled to find that a local store now carries it. I gave it a quick rinse and trim, then tied it, as it had been boned. I applied a liberal coating of Melvin's rub and let it sit while getting the Kettle to 225°F, which it locked in to like it was an oven.

Fresh and Shiny

Tied and Rubbed

On the grate

As you can see, the kettle was setup for indirect cooking, the foil provides just a little protection from direct heat. I let the butt run at 225°F for 2 hours. Oh, the little cast iron skillet was a Christmas gift, not quite sure what I am going to do with it, but, it is seasoned and what I wanted. After two hours, the meat looked like this.

Ready for butcher paper

Because I was not familiar with the rub, and how it would perform, and I was working, so lost track of time before starting the cook, I decided wrapping and bumping the heat to 300°F was the combination to get to dinner at the right time. A few hours later, the meat felt soft and pliable to the touch, so I pulled and rested it for around 45 minutes. It was wrapped in foil and just sitting on the counter. I had throw together a quick soft bun recipe and it was also just cooling on the stove.

Nicely Barked and Aromatic

Nothing smell better to a BBQ cook than the aroma of pork butt, just ready for pulling. This meat was just tender enough, when I removed the string, and pushed on the top, it simply relaxed into 4 large chunks of meat, a few quick chops with a scraper and it was ready.

Pulled and Coarsely chopped

My preference for sandwiches is to smash the meat and then give it a coarse chop. This was perfectly cooked for that method. The meat was dusted with a little more of Melvin's rub, tossed and placed on the sliced bun.

Little bit of Melvin's Golden Secret

I wish I had gotten some cole slaw together, this sandwich sang without it, but, some cole slaw would have been perfect. I also ended up dipping the sandwich in the sauce that had spilled onto the plate. That is some great sauce, a real nice mustard twang, complements the pork perfectly. No doubt, the rub and sauce are meant to work as a team.

Great Texture

Perfect texture of bread, meat and sauce

This sandwich did not disappoint, and I don't care what you might think about sauce and BBQ, this was very, very, good food. The bread, meat, rub and sauce worked perfectly together. I probably could have shoveled three of these things down. Such a great and generous gesture from PatAttack, and now I can say I have tried a real South Carolina mustard sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment