Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fatty Pizza

Finally got around to making a pizza on the Weber, decided to combine two new projects on this one.  First, I cooked up a fatty, essentially a 1 pound sausage chub, rolled in a BBQ rub, then smoked low and slow.  This creates a nice flavorful crust over the sausagey goodness inside.  In this cook, I used my Mother Rub for the rub, a pound of Italian sausage, formed into a log shape, cooked at 225 over lump charcoal with Jack Daniels barrel chunks for smoke.

ready for the smoke:














and cooked, see the nice bark?
















This done, I decided to slice it, and add it to a pizza.  I ramped the kettle up with more lump charcoal and get it up to 450F.  In this case, I used a perforated pan to put the pizza on.  The dough was some premade pizza dough, a tad over dressed with crushed tomatoes, parmigiano reggiano and mozz.  Once the cook was underway and the cheese melted, the slices of fatty were place.  I did have some issues with getting the pizza off of the peel, so there is some deformation.  Bummer.

Pretty clearly, there is some work to do on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment