Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Leftovers...

Well, I had some left over meat from the faux-itas adventure and needed to get rid of it.  I occurred to me that I could make some pretty good tacos from the leftover meat.  I had some fresh tomatoes, some left over jalapeno salsa, and some left over cabbage.  Seemed like a good idea.  When I worked in landscape construction I developed a real taste for the tacos that we would get off the taco trucks, rolling taquerias that produced some of the best tacos you can imagine.

Here is the start of the process, turned on the griddle and put some tortillas on them, these are a Sonoran style corn tortilla, heat em up, both sides, add some cheese and the warmed meat.


















These were topped with the leftover salsa freshened up with fresh chopped tomatoes and green onions.  Then I put on some cabbage slaw based upon a Japanese tsukemono recipe that has been handed down to me, finally some guacamole and a squeeze of lime juice over the top.

 This was a great meal, it didn't have any semblance of being a leftover meal, the meat and it's spicing melded nicely with the added flavors.  I did add one more element, a Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard Ale, this is one of my favorite brews, a classic California style ale, red, malty and hoppy, big and flavorful.  The malt's sweetness allows this beer to stand up to the flavors of the tacos beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. So what's a sonoran corn tortilla? Is it a regional thing? I'm not well versed in tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, a true Sonoran tortilla is made from wheat flour (white doughy tortilla) that is slightly thicker than a regular flour tortilla. I spoke with the maker of the ones I used and they said they use wheat and corn flour, and, that theirs is the more accurate rendition.

    ReplyDelete