Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2009

'Fried' chicken

Well, I wasn't gonna make a blog entry tonight, but, I decided this deserved a mention.  I like wood roasted chicken, I like fried chicken and I like Shake and Bake chicken (I know, weak).  So I got to thinking, maybe I can get a little of all of this into one piece of chicken.

I made up a batch of heavily seasoned flour using equal parts of my chicken rub, a mixed herb rub and some all-purpose flour.  I then took some chicken legs (washed and dried) then rubbed with canola oil.  This was coated liberally with the seasoned flour and allowed to sit for an hour while the coating set.  I started the kettle up and got it up to 450F indirect heat, then put the chicken on the grill and let it go.

At 45 minutes I went and checked and it appeared done. checked temps and found it was 150F. Time to remove and rest, let the cooking finish to 160F.  This is what I ended up with.

















The skin was crunchy, not quite like deep fried, but, crunchy enough with a crisp skin underneath, a mild smoke flavor and lots of flavor and juice.  I think I am gonna try this technique for chicken kara-age soon.

3 comments:

  1. I still have not tried this. A lot of folks on the Egg forum did something called "the chicken" that got a ton of great comments. I just still have a hard time getting over the breaded chicken on the grill thing, ha ha.

    But I do have a bird in the freezer. Maybe this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tells ya' it was good. Maybe some gravy and mashed potatoes would have been good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to let the coating set - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete