Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Picanha

I learned something new today, I went to Phat Matt's and met my buddy Rob from Red Boat there to talk about offal and black pepper. We had a new cut of meat that was being featured there, called Picanha. Apparently this is a cut most popular and well known in Argentina and Brazil. In fact, it is easily identifiable as the steak that is often pictured on the churrasco swords so closely linked to Argentinian BBQ.

This particular version was smoked over a low fire with a little hickory smoke as Matt does with all of his meats. It was incredible, lean, beefy, tender and flavorful. The closest cut I can relate it to in the U.S. is the Eye of Rib primal in terms of taste and appearance, yet more tender. This made a spectacular sandwich with a little horseradish.  Just goes to show, you can learn a little something at any moment, even if you think you have had every part of the steer.

7 comments:

  1. I've had picanha at Fogo de Chão and fully agree that it's one tasty bit of beef. Any idea where the cut comes from? I know it's top sirloin, but what part of the primal is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As near as I can tell, it is a small shell muscle attached to the top of the sirloin primal. Sirloin cap is what it most seems to be called by USDA standard cut charts. It is the lump of muscle you can see at the top of the rear hips of a steer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Phat Matt's - I asked the wife to pick up a four way combo today and was pleased. The tri tip in particular was excellent and any nits were more of a personal preference thing. We'll definitely be back - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, I personally take all the credit for the tri-tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Picanha was outstanding - definitely one of the "richest" poor man's cuts on the beast. And smoked slow under hickory - well it was even better than prime rib!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the best picanha I've seen. We had a Churrasco open in town last year and their picanha wasn't that great. Most of their meets that night were a touch overdone and the place was packed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one in the fridge Chris, it is gonna hit the kettle soon. I am thinking two hours maybe two and a half in the smoke.

    ReplyDelete