Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Brisket with Zocalo Coffee Rub

 Here is the cook following up from yesterday's rub post.  Now with images.

The brisket was a choice packer brisket, not my usual grass-fed beef, as I cannot seem to get a full packer brisket from my usual sources. I see this as one of the big problems with my efforts to buy a quality cut of beef from a quality rancher. Anyway, there is the meat...
Then there was the rub, freshly ground up this morning in terms of the pepper and the coffee, this is very important to maintain the aromatic qualities of both of these ingredients.  I did forget the cocoa I was going to add, so this is going to be all about the coffee.
I took the coffee rub and used it as the first layer of my usual two layer rub system with my 'Top Rub' being used as the second layer of the two layer rub process.  Here is a shot showing the amount of rub I used. Normally I do not use such a heavy coating, but, I wanted this to be about maximizing the flavor of this experimental rub.
And onto the kettle it went, the kettle had a different setup than my usual mods, this is a test of setting up the kettle for a ring of smoke burn in which one end of the ring is lit and allowed to burn. Hopefully it will burn for 7 hours at 300F.
More to come in the next post.  I can report that is has been on the fire for 5 hours, is at 190F internal in the flat and is looking great for being done soon.

recipe:

My plan is to create a rub for use in my normal two rub process. It will most likely include some ingredients something like this.

1 cup finely ground coffee, Costa Rican
1/4 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoon chile powder
2 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons granulated garlic

This will form the first layer of rub I put onto a piece of meat. The second layer contains the black pepper, kosher salt and citrus rind of my usual top rub process. I have also been reserving some beef jus from a previous cook, that will form the basis of an injection that will probably end up in the brisket I intend to cook.

1 comment: