Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The pre-cook

Yes, a blog post with not meat pictures.  Just sitting here thinking about a new rub idea that I am about to try out.  I will call it my Zocalo Coffee Rub.  This was inspired by a recent espresso tasting trip I took with the owners, roaster and manager of the Zocalo Coffeehouse in San Leandro.  It reminded me of how incredible the actual beans of coffee can be in bringing interesting aromas and flavors to the palate.

My plan is to create a rub for use in my normal two rub process.  It will most likely include some ingredients something like this.

1 cup finely ground coffee, Costa Rican
1/4 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoon chile powder
2 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons granulated garlic

This will form the first layer of rub I put onto a piece of meat.  The second layer contains the black pepper, kosher salt and citrus rind of my usual top rub process.  I have also been reserving some beef jus from a previous cook, that will form the basis of an injection that will probably end up in the brisket I intend to cook.

1 comment:

  1. I got a test sample from Billy Bones with my regular order and he told me it was a "cuban" rub for beef. It smelled like it had some coffee bean too (not to mention a slight hint of tobacco smell??). He hasn't marketed it yet and it's been over a year, but I liked it on brisket and chucks. I think yours might work too.

    ReplyDelete